WYNDHAM
Home » Uncategorized » Wyndham’s arterials at bursting point

Wyndham’s arterials at bursting point

WHAT DO YOU THINK? SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS STORY TO POST A COMMENT.

CONGESTION on Wyndham’s roads continues to worsen five years after the council identified five key arterial roads as being over capacity.

In 2010, that figure grew to 11 and last year the council identified 18 key roads at capacity.

The council says VicRoads, which is responsible for most of the choked arterials, has failed to upgrade them to ease the congestion.

The council’s 2011 traffic volumes report, released last week, revealed the extent of Wyndham’s traffic pain.

The report stated that Forsyth, Old Geelong, Sayers, Derrimut and Point Cook roads were all over capacity, while sections of the Princes Highway, Morris, Ballan, Heaths, Palmers and Dohertys roads were at capacity.

Wyndham’s busiest arterial was Forsyth Road, south of Geelong Road. Last year it

carried 42,670 vehicles a day.

Old Geelong Road (at Dunlop Road), Sayers Road (west of Marquands Road), Derrimut Road (north of Sayers Road), Morris Road

(between Heaths and Hogans roads) and the Princes Highway (east of Derrimut Road) were identified as operating at capacity for the past five years. The report called on VicRoads to provide urgent funding to upgrade sections of Forsyth, Sayers, Point Cook, Heaths and Derrimut roads.

Mayor Kim McAliney said the report’s findings would not come as a surprise to residents, who were often forced to sit in traffic jams.

She accused VicRoads and the state government of continuing to ignore Wyndham’s failing road infrastructure.

“The number of at-capacity roads in Wyndham is growing as we continue to increase the number of residents calling our city home,” she said.

“VicRoads needs to act now to address the growing number of sites experiencing traffic congestion in our municipality and to undertake works where the road is expected to reach capacity in the next few years.”

Point Cook resident Miriam Spiess said it regularly took her 45 minutes to exit the suburb. She said limited exits from Point Cook and its growing population meant her husband was rarely home from work in the city in time to see their children before they went to bed.

She urged Wyndham residents to write to the government and VicRoads to make them aware of the human impact of their “poor decision making”.

VicRoads regional director Nial Finegan said a number of locations in Wyndham, including Derrimut, Old Geelong and Forsyth roads, had been identified for future funding. He did not answer questions about why roads previously identified as being at capacity had not

been upgraded.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…