WYNDHAM
Home » Uncategorized » Relief as funding for homeless support groups extended

Relief as funding for homeless support groups extended

Wyndham’s housing support groups have been given a cash lifeline after the federal government agreed to extend funding for another two years.

Ending months of uncertainty, the government has committed $230 million to extend the national partnership agreement on homelessness until 2017, with priority for frontline services to focus on women and children experiencing domestic and family violence and on homeless youth aged under 18.

The present agreement had been due to expire in June this year and ongoing funding comes after crime statistics revealed that more family violence is reported in Wyndham than anywhere in the western suburbs.

In February, Homelessness Australia warned that tens of thousands of homeless clients would be abandoned without the funding.

Recent statistics classify 420 people as being homeless in Wyndham.

The H3 Alliance, a partnership of local health, housing and homelessness organisations, has proposed an early intervention and service hub for Wyndham, which would ensure much- needed crisis and emergency accommodation and specialist support.

The group recently sought support for the H3 project from state Treasurer and Werribee MP Tim Pallas ahead of May’s state budget.

Werribee Support and Housing chief executive Carol Muir said there was an enormous “sense of relief” across the sector after federal funds were re-secured, with its focus on victims of family violence being an important step.

“At least 80 per cent of our clients are experiencing or have experienced family violence,” she said. “It [homelessness] is a hidden problem – nobody really knows the real number.”

Wyndham City Salvation Army captain Lance Jeffrey said homelessness was a major problem.

“Many people have an ‘out of sight, out of mind’ attitude towards homelessness but, whether you’re on the streets or in emergency or temporary accommodation, in a tent or car, it’s a terrible way to live. We need to do everything we can to support as many people as possible back into independent living.”

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…