Lockdown extended

Cars line up at the COVID-19 testing site at Victoria University, Hoppers Lane, Werribee on Monday. (Joe Mastroianni) 244144_03

By Alesha Capone

Seven residents living in the 3030 postcode of Point Cook, Werribee and Werribee South have contracted COVID-19 in the past week, as concerns about community transmission prompted the state’s fifth lockdown to be extended.

The state government announced yesterday that the lockdown would be extended until midnight on Tuesday, July 27, to help run the Victorian Delta outbreak “to the ground”.

The five reasons to leave home will remain in place: getting food and supplies, exercising for up to two hours, care or caregiving, work or education if you can’t do it from home, and to get vaccinated at the nearest possible location.

Shopping and exercise must be done within five kilometres of your home or the nearest location.

The 3029 postcode, which covers Hoppers Crossing, Tarneit and Truganina, recorded one case of the illness last week.

Wyndham’s other postcodes did not have any COVID-19 cases.

There were 85 active cases across the state as of Tuesday.

Several places in Wyndham have been named as COVID-19 exposure sites.

Coles Sanctuary Lakes and Sanctuary Lakes Charcoal Chicken & Salad Bar were identified as tier one sites on July 14, while the Sanctuary Lakes Hotel and QuickFit Health Club in Point Cook were both tier one sites on July 13.

The Jamieson Way Community Health Centre public toilets were listed as a tier two site on July 14, after a person with COVID-19 used them.

Persist Fitness in Werribee was also named a tier one exposure site on July 12, 13 and 14.

Gym owner Josh Pigdon said that it came “out of the blue” when the health department rang him to say that a person with COVID had attended the gym last week.

Mr Pigdon said he and two other trainers had been advised to isolate for 14 days, although they tested negative to the illness.

“We’re pretty diligent with all the cleaning, making sure everyone signs in with the QR codes and everything like that,” he said.

Mr Pigdon said that after being contacted by the department, he sent messages to staff and everyone who had been at the gym.

“You just have to do the right thing,” he said.

Mr Pigdon said he hoped the gym would not be affected too much by the latest lockdown.