WYNDHAM
Home » News » Teen jailed over home invasion

Teen jailed over home invasion

A teenage boy who pleaded guilty to taking part in an aggravated home invasion in Wyndham has been sentenced to three and a half years in a youth detention centre.

The 17-year-old boy, who was described with the pseudonym M.M, was sentenced in the County Court last month.

The court heard M.M participated in the aggravated home invasion in November 2018 at a house in Peppermint Grove, Wyndham Vale, along with five other young men.

Judge Liz Gaynor said M.M and the four other youths took a sledgehammer and smashed in the back door of the house.

When the female resident went to investigate, M.M demanded her car keys, while he was holding the sledgehammer.

The court heard that he said to the woman: “Go inside the room so I don’t kill you”.

After obtaining the keys to the woman’s Toyota Corolla, the youths drove away in the car, Judge Gaynor said.

The offenders were later seen at a party held at an Airbnb property in Point Cook.

M.M admitted the offending to police after he was arrested in November 2018.

The court heard the woman who lived in the Wyndham Vale house was “terribly frightened” by the home invasion and had given up her job working with the elderly.

Her victim impact statement read: “I have had to go to extensive counselling and I have to take medication because I’m plagued with recurring nightmares.

“When I’m outdoors I’m in fear and I’m really suffering from trauma and anxiety”.

Judge Gaynor said a report found M.M’s offending appeared to have occurred in the context of his low cognitive functioning, unstable homelife, exposure to domestic violence and family trauma.

She said that a neuropsychologist had found M.M. had “low to average intelligence” and to have a severe language disorder.

He also suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and a substance abuse disorder. The court heard that M.M started using cannabis at age 12, and also used benzodiazepine and cocaine.

Judge Gaynor said M.M would eventually be released on parole, but did not specify when.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…