WYNDHAM
Home » Uncategorized » New place for e-waste

New place for e-waste

Caroline Springs residents will soon find it easier to dispose of their e-waste.

E-waste is one of the fastest-growing streams of waste worldwide, and covers everything from old mobile phones, computers, audio devices, and refrigerators.

Officeworks in Caroline Springs is one of 42 sites across the state to receive funding to boost the amount of e-waste it can take, as the need to properly dispose of electronic items grows.

From July 1, 2019, any item with a plug, battery or cord can no longer be placed in kerbside bins and instead must be deposited at a designated e-waste drop-off point.

Environment Minister Lily D’Ambrosio announced a $25.3 million funding boost last week to help keep up with demand.

“We’re making sure Victorian households know how to dispose of e-waste properly and easily ahead of the e-waste to landfill ban,” Ms D’Ambrosio said. “It’s great to see businesses like Officeworks getting on board to ensure all Victorians have a convenient drop-off point.

“E-waste contains valuable materials that we can recover and reuse, but if left in the wrong place, they can also harm the environment.”

Ewen McRae

Digital Editions


  • $16m Jameson Way upgrade complete

    $16m Jameson Way upgrade complete

    The Jameson Way Community Centre and Reserve expansion update is now complete and has extended the amount of public amenities available in Point Cook. The…

More News

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Basketball Wyndham’s Riak Akhuar has been named in Basketball Australia’s under-17 Crocs squad for a camp in March. The camp will provide athletes with their first opportunity this year to…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has revealed that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Testing the limits of wearable tech

    Smartwatches and other wearable devices are ubiquitous in the world of sport and fitness. But how well do they really measure when other variables are in play? That’s exactly what…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…