WYNDHAM
Home » Uncategorized » All aboard for rail yards

All aboard for rail yards

By Charlene Macaulay

A $172.9 million train stabling yard in Wyndham Vale is expected to provide more trains, more often along the Regional Rail Link network.

Construction is expected to begin in coming months on the yards, which will be built near a stockfeed mill building along Hobbs Road and will have capacity for six trains, plus refuelling facilities, driver facilities and a bypass track connected to the Geelong line so trains can access the stabling yard without delaying passenger services.

The stabling yard, which will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week when it is completed in 2020, will replace the stabling at E-Gate near Footscray, with that land being used to extend Wurundjeri Way as part of the West Gate Tunnel project.

The new facility will employ about 24 people and has been designed to cater for future expansion.

Public Transport Minister Jacinta Allan said the new stabling yard would accommodate the extra VLocity trains the government is buying for the regional network, and would allow for “future service increases”.

“Having stabling located at different parts of the network gives you additional flexibility to run more services,” she said.

“This location will be able to give us the capacity to run more trains from the Wyndham Vale area.

“Given the growth along the Regional Rail Link, we need this stabling here and that’s why we’re building it.”

Werribee MP Tim Pallas said the number of new train services for Wyndham had yet to be finalised.

“There is a significant advantage to this community in being able to have these facilities here. It will mean more services in time.”

Mr Pallas and Ms Allan also said there were no plans for new Wyndham train stations along the Regional Rail Link network, despite Tarneit train station being the second busiest regional station behind Southern Cross.

Wyndham council city economy director Kate Roffey said the council would work with the government to ensure there was minimum impact on residents during construction and operation of the stabling yard.

Ms Roffey said the council was “fully supportive” of the project.

Noise mounds have already been put in place to mitigate any noise coming from the facility.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…