WYNDHAM
Home » Uncategorized » Road rage attack caught on film | Werribee man charged

Road rage attack caught on film | Werribee man charged

A drink-driver, found to be almost five times over the legal limit, is expected to be charged after attacking a passenger of another vehicle in a road rage incident.

Police expect to charge on summons the driver, a 34-year-old Werribee man, with serious offences including assault, careless driving, leaving the scene of an accident and drink-driving.

The incident occurred last week when the man was involved in a two-car collision on Tarneit Road.

The driver allegedly got out of his vehicle and pushed the driver of the other car in the chest before fleeing the scene.

Police were able to track him down, with the help of a quick-thinking passenger from the other car who had taken a photo of the man and his car at the crash site.

Wyndham highway patrol’s Sergeant Graeme Crouch said the photo of the suspect and his car was shown to officers after they arrived at the scene. They eventually traced the driver back to a property in Werribee.

“[At the property] they found a vehicle matching not only in damage but displaying consistent damage to what was alleged to have occurred on Tarneit Road,” Sergeant Crouch said.

“The man accused of driving and the assault, who was in the picture, was standing next to the car.”

The man underwent a breath test and recorded a blood-alcohol reading of .241.

Victoria Police is concerned about the prevalence of road rage incidents across the western suburbs.

Last year, Wyndham road policing adviser Senior Sergeant Damien Madden said an investigation across Wyndham, Maribyrnong and Hobsons Bay had found tailgating to be one of the major factors, with some drivers deliberately ramming other vehicles.

“It [the investigation] found incidents predominantly occurred during the afternoon peak on weekdays with the major hotspot in Wyndham at Dohertys Road in Laverton North,” he said. “A multitude of issues can lead to road rage, but road congestion plays a part.”

With a growing number of road users resorting to using smartphones and dashboard cameras to record incidents, Senior Sergeant Madden warned people to be cautious.

“Although this information can be helpful for police, it’s a decision each person needs to make according to individual circumstances,” he said. “We don’t want people to potentially endanger themselves or others [by taking photos or recording video footage].”

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…