WYNDHAM
Home » Sport » Cricket » Werribee wince after familiar ending

Werribee wince after familiar ending

Werribee was left with that same hollow feeling after another failed Sub-District cricket finals campaign.

The ‘so near, yet so far’ story will endure after the Tigers once again came up empty in their search for that elusive flag.

Even captain-coach Mitch Johnstone, who only arrived at the club in the off-season, is feeling the burden of history.

“We’ve fallen short in three of the last four years in semi finals or finals appearances,” he told Star Weekly. “We’ve got to come up with a formula that works deep into finals cricket.”

An agonising one game short of a grand final, Werribee was ousted by the more polished Caulfield in a 114-run loss at Caulfield Park on Sunday.

The Tigers struggled to get a foothold in the match, conceding a hefty 9-242 on day one and only just reaching half of that total to be all out for 128.

“It was pretty comprehensive in the end,” Johnstone said.

Jonathan Burton was outstanding with the new ball for the Tigers, taking 5-67 off 28 overs.

The seamer was able to extract the most out of the wicket for the visitors.

It was continuation of a fine second half of the season for Burton, who battled away through eight second XI matches before he was called up to the ones.

Burton finished with 22 first XI wickets at an average of 10 in the last seven games.

“He’s had a really strong finish to the year,” Johnstone said. “He’s gone up another level.”

Werribee was a little too expensive with the ball for Johnstone’s liking.

Burton aside, it was a so-so performance from the Tigers bowlers.

“We were okay, we weren’t terrible, but they probably got 20 or 30 more than we would’ve liked,” Johnstone said.

With the firepower in the Werribee batting line-up, a target of 243 was seen as achievable.

Unfortunately, the Tigers batsmen began hesitantly on Sunday, and never recovered.

“We were very patient at the start, but probably too patient,” Johnstone said. “Our mindset was that we wanted to get a solid base.

“We just didn’t put enough scoreboard pressure on and eventually the wickets accumulated.”

There were starts for Matt Dean (35), James Freeman (32), Marcus Worrall (24) and Shaun Dean (22), but none were able to take the game by the scruff of the neck for the Tigers.

Having struggled to 6-128, the Tigers lost their final four wickets for no runs, leaving them well short of the target.

“Our middle to lower order batting hasn’t been exposed throughout the course of the year and today, when we needed it most, it probably fell a bit short, so that’s something we’ll address in the off season,” Johnstone said.

“Our key pillars with the bat either missed out or didn’t capitalise with a big score.

“We’ve relied heavily on them all year and that reliance probably came back to bite us a bit today.”

Caulfield will fight it out with Oakleigh in the Sub-District south-west group final, while Mt Waverley and Bayswater will meet in the north-east final.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…