WYNDHAM
Home » Sport » Football » Werribee to face young guns at the MCG

Werribee to face young guns at the MCG

Werribee Tigers are getting a rare chance to grace the home of football, the MCG.

The Tigers have been invited to play against an AFL under-18 academy side in a 4.35pm curtain-raiser to the AFL blockbuster between Collingwood and Richmond this Friday.

Tigers coach John Lamont says it’s a tremendous opportunity for his team to experience the thrill of playing on the ’G.

“Some of our blokes have never played there so it’ll be a real buzz for them,” he said.

“It’s an opportunity to put our players under the eye of all AFL recruiters.

“Players like [Jake] Wilson, [Tom] Gribble, [Isaac] Conway, [Josh] Porter, [Jason] Robinson and [Joe] Maishman all have ambitions to get to an AFL club so this is a huge opportunity for them.

“New boys [David] Mennan, [Dane] McFarlane and [Ethan] Petterwood will also come under notice of AFL talent scouts for the first time in a Werribee jumper, so it’s exciting for them, too.

“Then throw in a few of our older heads like [Nathan] Laracy, [Scott] Sherlock and [James] Hussey and it promises to be a great game for our playing list.”

Werribee is calling on Richmond and Collingwood fans to turn up a little earlier to take in some of the action.

With the best under-18s on show, the exhibition game will feature some of the AFL’s future stars.

It will be a busy weekend for Werribee.

The players who miss out on the curtain-raiser will play in a VFL practice match against Footscray at the Whitten Oval on Saturday from noon.

“We’re really looking forward to the whole weekend following on after the Easter break,” Lamont said.

“Everyone will be going 100 per cent trying to impress for selection in the round one team.”

 

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…