Werribee makes long awaited return to Watton Street

Yarraville's Joshua Hahnel is run out on the non-strikers end by Werribee's Jonathon Burton. (Luke Hemer)

By Tara Murray

Werribee will make it long-awaited return to Chirnside Park this Saturday in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association.

The Tigers have spent the first half of the season on the road while ground resurfacing took place at their Watton Street home.

While the team kept their enthusiasm levels high, Tigers captain-coach Tim O’Brien admits it will be nice to sample some of their home comforts at Chirnside Park for the first time this season.

“We’re really looking forward to playing some cricket there,” O’Brien said.

“We had a lot of travel in the first half of the year.

“We actually don’t travel at all now.”

Werribee will remain in the western suburbs for the remainder of the season.

The Tigers three away games will all be played against western rivals.

If they have their own way, the Tigers will also get to host a home final this season, something they were denied last season due to professional JLT Series football being played at the venue.

“After Christmas, all of our games are in the west,” O’Brien said.

“We play Yarraville at Yarraville, Altona at Altona and Williamstown at Williamstown and then we’ve got the two games at Chirnside against Box Hill and Balwyn.

“We did a lot of travelling before Christmas, so I think the boys are pretty happy that we’re not doing too much travel after Christmas.

Werribee’s James Freeman. (Luke Hemer)

PHOTO GALLERY: Werribee vs Yarraville 

“We’ll be aiming to get in the top three so we can at least host a home final.”

Werribee’s first match in the new year against Yarraville at the Yarraville Oval was abandoned after just 16.5 overs.

The play had already been delayed due to spot of water that got under the covers overnight and then a couple of dangerous balls forced the umpires to call a halt to play.

“A few balls popped a bit and there was one ball that took off a length and got quicker off the wicket, so the umpires deemed the wicket to be unsafe and called the game off.

“Both captains were happy to still play on it, but it was the umpires call and that was the final call.

“It was a little bit frustrating.

“[Top team] Altona got beaten today so we could’ve got a bit more on them.

“Williamstown got a win, so they’ll join us now.”

Werribee, sitting second on the ladder, will host a struggling Box Hill in a two-day game at Chirnside Park starting on Saturday.