WYNDHAM
Home » News » Youth gangs are a ’cancer’

Youth gangs are a ’cancer’

Youth gang crime has been branded a cancer as a state turns to local experts in response to the double murder of two innocent boys.

Dau Akueng, 15, and another boy, 12, were walking home in Cobblebank, late on Saturday when police say they were ambushed by eight masked males and fatally stabbed.

The search for the perpetrators, whom authorities say could have gang links, continued on Tuesday amid calls for tougher penalties for weapons-related violence.

Offences statewide committed by youths aged 10 to 17 jumped 17.9 per cent in the year to March to its highest level since records began in 1993, according to the latest crime statistics.

Premier Jacinta Allan said she spoke with South Sudanese Community of Melton chair John Garang Kon and South Sudanese Community of Wyndham chair Richard Deng on Monday.

“I told them that we mourn with them following the loss of two children in a shocking and violent killing,“ she said in a statement.

“I told them we stand with them in their fight against the cancer of youth gang crime that is breaking their community’s heart.“

The Labor leader wants locals to bring “local solutions“ to government and has convened a South Sudanese Australian youth justice expert working group.

“The solutions to the fight against violent crime can’t just be imposed upon the community. They must come from the community,“ Ms Allan said.

Police Minister Anthony Carbines conceded people believed youth crime in Victoria was at its worst.

The state government had responded to police frustration by legislating to strengthen bail laws and bolster stop and search powers, he said, without pledging further legal changes.

Werribee MP John Lister thanked the police involved in the incidents and welcomed government-community cooperation.

“I share the Premier’s condolences for the families of the young men who have been the victims of these horrific crimes and welcome the announcement to reconvene the Expert Working Group.”

Police believe the ambush was targeted, but are not ruling out a case of mistaken identity, saying the victims were not gang members.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…