WYNDHAM
Home » News » Wyndham budget passed

Wyndham budget passed

Wyndham council passed the final budget of its current four year term at a meeting on Tuesday night.

The 2024-25 budget, featuring an operating surplus of $244 million, a capital works budget of $159 million and application of the 2.75 per cent rate cap set by the local government minister, passed with a majority of 11-1 at the June 25 meeting, with only councillor Heather Marcus voting against.

The vote followed a two month public consultation period on a draft budget which was initially endorsed by council in April.

The $159.1 million capital works program includes $11.6 million for road reconstruction, $10.8 million for the Tarneit Road duplication and $8.5 million towards the Ison Road duplication .

Construction works at the Polly Parade precinct in Tarneit North received $12.2 million, while $10.4 million went towards the implementation of the Manor Lakes North masterplan, and $9.2 million for works at Fortitude Drive Reserve in Truganina

A total of $28.5 million is allocated to the maintenance of parks, open spaces and streetscapes.

For services, $21.9 million is allocated for kindergartens and children’s services, $16.7 million for child and family health and and $11.7 million for libraries.

The state government’s rate cap of 2.75 per cent for the 2024-25 financial year was applied, while the waste management charge has been set at $393.30, an increase of $2.90 on the previous year.

Other fees and charges have generally risen by four per cent in line with inflation.

Councillor Susan McIntyre put up an amended motion for the council to lobby the state government on behalf of the Point Cook Football Club to release funding for the development of the Point Cook Community Hub.

Cr McIntyre’s amendment, along with the rest of the budget, passed.

“This budget aims to finish what this council started when we came to office four years ago,” Wyndham mayor Jenny Barrera said.

She said it struck the balance between being fiscally responsible while still delivering the infrastructure and services needed for such a rapidly growing municipality.

“Since the beginning of our term, the municipality has grown by 50,000 people to a population of just over 320,000 – an increase of more than 15 per cent in just four years.”

Cr Heather Marcus said the budget focused too much on infrastructure rather than people, while less than half the questions she submitted during the budget process had been answered, forcing her to vote against it.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…