WYNDHAM
Home » News » Werribee road upgrades ‘win’

Werribee road upgrades ‘win’

Road upgrades in Werribee announced by the federal and state governments are expected to reduce congestion, improve travel times and provide relief to the region’s motorists.

On Thursday January 23, it was announced that $333.5 million will be invested in the Werribee Main Road–Princes Freeway Interchange Upgrade and the Ballan Road Intersection Upgrade.

Wyndham Mayor Mia Shaw said council welcomed the investments, calling it “a huge advocacy win for Wyndham”.

“It will significantly reduce congestion for the 150,000 residents who use the interchange each day,” Cr Shaw said.

“Ongoing investment in road networks for our community is essential and helps strengthen connectivity across the city, increases employment opportunities and boosts economic growth.”

She said council appreciates the funding from the federal and state governments.

“Importantly, we look forward to understanding the timelines for delivery of this project.”

The Werribee Main Road–Princes Freeway Interchange Upgrade will add more traffic lights at key intersections, a roundabout at the Princes Freeway exit ramp to Wests Road, a new lane to the Werribee Main Road bridge, and an improved citybound entry ramp.

The state government claims the upgrade will increase traffic capacity and reduce bottlenecks that cause dangerous queuing in peak periods.

The Ballan Road Intersection Upgrade in Wyndham Vale will replace the current roundabout with traffic lights at McGrath, Ballan and Greens roads and install “better” walking and cycling paths.

The state governments said both projects will build on the Ison Road Overpass and Extension, which is expected to be completed next year, and will allow motorists to travel seamlessly in and around Werribee’s town centre.

Lalor MP Joanne Ryan, who attended the announcement, said the federal government is committed to building Wyndham’s future.

“This investment in essential local infrastructure will reduce congestion, ease the travel burden for residents commuting to work, and, most importantly, ensure that they return home safely,” Ms Ryan said.

The two upgrades will be carried out by Major Road Projects Victoria and are expected to create 1624 jobs during the construction phase.

Construction timelines are expected to be confirmed once detailed design plans progress further.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…