WYNDHAM
Home » News » Werribee man jailed over child exploitation offences

Werribee man jailed over child exploitation offences

A 33-year-old Werribee man has been sentenced to four years’ imprisonment after pleading guilty to child exploitation offences.

The man was sentenced in the County Court yesterday.

The man was charged after Australian Federal Police officers executed a search warrant at his Werribee property in December 2019.

The investigation was launched after the Victorian Joint Anti Child Exploitation Team (JACET), comprising Australian Federal Police and Victoria Police members, received a report from the AFP’s Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation (ACCCE) over the grooming of a child through the social media application ‘Kik’.

The AFP found the man sent sexually explicit images to a 12-year-old girl.

During the search warrant at a Werribee property, officers seized child exploitation material on a USB and discovered numerous conversations with underage females on the man’s mobile phone.

The man pled guilty to the following charges:

-26 counts of using a carriage service to transmit indecent communication to a person believed to be under 16 years of age.

-Three counts of using a carriage service to transmit child pornography material.

-Four counts of using a carriage service to cause child pornography material to be transmitted to himself.

-Three counts of using a carriage service to solicit child pornography material.

-One count of possessing or controlling child abuse material obtained or accessed using a carriage service.

The man will be eligible for parole after serving two years.

AFP Commander Investigations Todd Hunter said the AFP remained committed to identifying and prosecuting online offenders attempting to exploit children.

“Alarmingly, the appetite for child exploitation material is increasing and there are predators in our community who will abuse vulnerable children to facilitate this vile industry,” Commander Hunter said.

“This results in devastating and lifelong consequences for child victims and their families.

“Today’s sentence should act as a warning to those participating in this abhorrent criminality; you will be tracked down, prosecuted and locked away.”

Members of the public who have any information about people involved in child abuse and exploitation are urged to call Crime stoppers on 1800 333 000.

You can also make a report online by alerting the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation via the Report Abuse button at www.accce.gov.au/report.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…