WYNDHAM
Home » News » Weerama goes on, with strings attached

Weerama goes on, with strings attached

Wyndham councillors have voiced concerns about plans for next year’s Weerama Festival.

The council voted on Monday night to give the festival committee $30,000 in money and in-kind support to help stage the 2016 festival, scheduled for March 18-20.

But the funding comes with a range of conditions.

The festival committee must submit monthly progress reports outlining progress in the co-ordination of the event; money must go towards the staging of the festival and suppliers have to be paid directly following the approval of formal quotes.

The conditions were set after the Weerama committee abandoned the 2015 festival in January and unsuccessfully asked the council for money to fix governance issues, including administration and bookkeeping.

Cr Peter Maynard said the conditions had been put in place as a matter of due diligence.

Councillors Heather Marcus, John Gibbons and Peter Gibbons voted against the grant application on Monday night, while Intaj Khan abstained.

Cr Marcus expressed doubts the festival committee would be able to put together a good event by the end of March.

“It’s 14 weeks out [from the festival],” she said. “This time last year, they told us that even if we gave them the money, they couldn’t organise it.

“I don’t see anything on their website and I don’t see anything on social media, so I still have very grave concerns how they’re going to pull it together in 14 weeks.”

But councillors Gautam Gupta and Glenn Goodfellow said the council was micro- managing the Weerama committee much more than it had other groups.

“Am I concerned that it’s a short timeframe? Yes, I am,” Cr Goodfellow said. “But doing this, and giving this grant, shows faith. I don’t want to see Weerama die.”

Weerama president Marcel Mahfoud said he was concerned the funding would not be enough, adding that the committee had asked for $40,000 in funding and in-kind support.

“The committee will have to sit down and decide our next steps,” he said.

“We’re not sure what the in-kind support entails … we’re concerned that it’s not quite enough. It would mean a scaled-down event.”

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…