WYNDHAM
Home » News » Thousands jobless in west

Thousands jobless in west

More than 21,500 workers across Melbourne’s west have lost their jobs since March, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

ABS data released last week showed that the unemployment rate in the west is now at 9.3 per cent.

In north-western suburbs, unemployment stands at 9.6 per cent, with 22,600 workers losing their job since March.

In south-east of Melbourne, 29,700 job losses have resulted in an 8.3 per cent unemployment rate.

The state opposition’s treasurer spokeswoman, Louise Staley, said pandemic lockdown restrictions had contributed to the loss of 162,552 jobs across Melbourne since March.

Star Weekly reported last month that businesses located in the 3029 and 3030 postcodes have applied for the most JobKeeper payments in the state, outside of Melbourne.

Figures from the Department of Treasury show that 3681 businesses in the 3029 area – which covers Hoppers Crossing, Tarneit and Truganina – have applied for the federal government’s JobKeeper program.

Within the 3030 postcode – which includes Werribee, Werribee South, Point Cook, Quandong and Derrimut – 3272 businesses have applied for JobKeeper.

The 3000 postcode (Melbourne) placed first on the list with 6693 applications.

The JobKeeper scheme is a temporary subsidy for businesses significantly affected by the coronavirus, providing $1500 per eligible employee, every fortnight.

In Wyndham, the council has also put together a $5 million WynLocal Business Recovery and Growth Program in response to coronavirus restrictions.

This included $1.5 million in grants for eligible local businesses, to help them adapt and grow when emerging from the COVID-19 shutdown. Applications for the grants closed on June 9.

Wyndham’s future focused economy portfolio holder, Cr Walter Villagonzalo, said supporting the resurgence of the local economy was a strong priority for council.

“This strategic approach will ensure successful applicants will be given a great opportunity to implement initiatives that focus on recovery and longer-term growth as we transition to a post COVID-19 economy,” Cr Villagonzalo said.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…