WYNDHAM
Home » News » Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago.

The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12 April, 2012.

He was then reported missing to police on 9 May 2012 by his separated spouse, who he remained on good terms with.

She became concerned when he cancelled dinner with her at the last minute via text message and then stopped answering her phone calls.

They were initially unsure whether Mr Breen had chosen to disappear of his own accord.

A public appeal was also issued, however this did not lead to any further information as to his whereabouts.

Despite a number of inquiries over the following few years, Mr Breen could not be located.

In October 2018 he failed to appear at his daughter’s funeral which his family believed to be out of character as the pair were close.

The matter was reviewed and detectives now believe Mr Breen’s disappearance is suspicious, with his bank accounts and phone never being accessed and there being no reported sightings of him indicating he likely met with foul play.

Inspector Dave Dunstan from the Missing Persons Squad said all unsolved missing persons cases were subject to regular review and a re-examination of Mr Breen’s case last year led to a number of avenues of inquiry being re-visited in the hope they provide fresh leads.

“However it remains a mystery and we are hopeful that today’s renewed appeal can bring us closer to answers,” Inspector Dunstan said.

“While 14 years have passed, we strongly believe there are still people out there who know what has happened to Brendan, who is involved and why this has happened.

“Even the smallest detail could be what leads us to a breakthrough and hopefully, puts us in a position to give Brendan’s family some answers.”

Anyone with any information regarding his disappearance is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or online at: www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…