WYNDHAM
Home » News » New COVID testing site in Truganina

New COVID testing site in Truganina

A new COVID-19 testing site is being set up at Al-Taqwa College in Truganina, after a teacher from the school tested positive to the virus.

The Department of Health announced yesterday that the school would close, with all students and staff instructed to get tested and isolate until further notice.

The teacher, a woman aged in her twenties who lives in Hobsons Bay , is believed to have potentially been infectious in the community for three days last week.

This morning, construction crews were on-site at the Truganina school, putting up tents for the new COVID-19 testing site.

Yesterday Al-Taqwa College released a statement saying it was advised of the teacher’s coronavirus diagnosis at 2.30pm.

The statement said that upon the direction of the Western Public Health Unit and the Department of Health, the college immediately advised staff, students and families that they must be COVID-tested immediately.

All staff and students were also told they must immediately self-quarantine until further notice, and continue getting tested even if they test negative.

Today is a student-free day to enable staff to be tested. Online classes will resume on Friday, until further notice, the school said.

“For the time being, the college campus will be completely shut down with no staff members or students permitted to attend the college premises,” the statement said.

“Deep cleaning is being arranged.

“Unless and until the department advises us otherwise, we are locking down the college campus for the full 14 day precautionary period, therefore online classes will continue until Wednesday, August 18. Classes will resume face-to-face on Thursday, August 19.

“The college assures our families, staff and the Victorian community that we have done everything required by the Victorian government to implement COVID-19 protocols and precautions, as we have throughout this pandemic.”

The Western Region Football League has also released a statement, stating that a player from the Newport Football Club seniors reportedly tested positive to COVID-19 yesterday.

The player participated in a match against West Footscray at Shorten Reserve in West Footscray on Saturday afternoon.

“The player began to feel unwell this week and did not attend club training on Tuesday, and was confirmed as having COVID-19 on Wednesday,” the statement said.

“On learning of the positive case, Newport Football Club immediately advised all players & officials to get tested and isolate until further notice.

“The matter is in the hands of the DHHS, and the WRFL in conjunction with AFL Victoria will continue to monitor the situation closely.”

A number of new COVID exposure sites in Newport, Altona North and Caroline Springs have also been listed at https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/exposure-sites

Digital Editions


  • My Place

    My Place

    Karthick Thanigaimani is president of the Point Cook Action Group and a community volunteer. He discussed his connection to Wyndham with Jaidyn Kennedy. Can you…

More News

  • $16m Jameson Way upgrade complete

    $16m Jameson Way upgrade complete

    The Jameson Way Community Centre and Reserve expansion update is now complete and has extended the amount of public amenities available in Point Cook. The $16.1 million project includes a…

  • Have your say on plant

    Have your say on plant

    The Environment Protection Authority (EPA) has received an application for a pork rendering facility in Laverton North. Submitted by JBS Pork Pty Ltd, the application requests permission to construct the…

  • Exhibition maps Wyndham

    Exhibition maps Wyndham

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533830 An ode to the wonderful and varying landscapes that make up Wyndham is currently on display at the Saltwater Community Centre. Created by…

  • Council backs Tarneit townhouses

    Council backs Tarneit townhouses

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has confirmed it will notify the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) that it supports a proposed $11 million building development…

  • Cats’ tough loss

    Cats’ tough loss

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534371 Hoppers Crossing has to get back to its best if it is to make sure it qualifies for the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    Basketball Wyndham’s Riak Akhuar has been named in Basketball Australia’s under-17 Crocs squad for a camp in March. The camp will provide athletes with their first opportunity this year to…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has revealed that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…