WYNDHAM
Home » News » Mercy Hospital misses benchmarks

Mercy Hospital misses benchmarks

Only 60 per cent of the 8613 patients who presented at Werribee Mercy Hospital’s emergency department in the December 2015 quarter were treated within desired assessment times, new figures reveal.

The recently released Victorian Health Services Report shows that while 100 per cent of category one patients presenting to emergency were treated immediately during the quarter, the hospital failed to meet the state government benchmark for category two patients for the second quarter running.

Data reveals the hospital treated only 70 per cent of category two patients – those with a critical illness or very severe pain, including serious chest pain and breathing difficulties – within the prescribed 10 minutes. The state benchmark for this category is 80 per cent.

The hospital has also failed to meet the desired treatment time of category three patients every quarter for the past 12 months.

During the December quarter, Werribee Mercy treated 62 per cent of category three patients within the prescribed 30 minutes – below the national target of 75 per cent.

Increased demand

Werribee Mercy health services chief executive Linda Mellors said the hospital’s emergency department was experiencing an increase in demand, including in numbers of patients needing to be transferred to other hospitals.

Dr Mellors said a planned $85 million hospital redevelopment to include six operating theatres and 64 new beds would help lighten the load once it’s finished in 2018.

“Transferring patients can create a bed block in the ED and impact on waiting times,” she said. “It’s disappointing that Werribee Mercy didn’t meet the state government’s targets. We’re currently working on strategies to ensure patients get to the wards in a timelier manner. When the hospital is at peak demand, we endeavour to open more acute beds to treat a higher number of patients.”

Since January, a new system has started, with a dedicated team of an experienced doctor and nurse treating category four and five patients in a bid to cut all waiting times. But Dr Mellors said it was too early to tell what impact the new “streaming” process was having on the hospital’s emergency department.

Elective surgery improvements

Meanwhile, the hospital’s elective surgery list decreased from 815 patients to 777 over the 12 months to last December 31 – a drop Dr Mellors attributes to extra surgical staff in urology, colorectal, orthopaedic and general surgery.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…