WYNDHAM
Home » News » Dune restoration plan backed

Dune restoration plan backed

Wyndham council has agreed to commit to a plan to secure funding for the Werribee South beach area and surrounds.

At the Tuesday 28 October council meeting, Cr Robert Szatkowski raised a notice of motion to apply for a state government grant to begin dune restoration works at Werribee South beach.

On top of entering a submission for an application to the Port Phillip Bay Fund, Cr Szatkowski also wanted council to commit $170,000 of its own cash to bolster the applications chances.

The money would come from the council’s strategic opportunities and discretionary grants matching allocation that exists in this year’s budget.

With planned stage one works to upgrade the beach estimated to cost $340,000, Cr Szatkowski said the development will stabilise and revegetate priority dune sections, improving coastal resilience and biodiversity.

Cr Szatkowski said bolstering dune systems is an important way to protect a variety of flora, fauna and public amenities.

“Because dune systems are natural infrastructure, they buffer storm surges, erosion, protect roads, paths and public assets and create habitat that makes the foreshore richer for people and wildlife,” he said.

“Together these coastal places attract over 200 visitors a year, a reminder that resilience here isn’t just environment– it’s social and economic, too.”

According to Cr Szatkowski, the motion and its objectives were practical and easily actionable for council officers.

“Our coastal assets are connected literally by people’s daily recreation and ecology, so resilience in one place helps the whole,” he said,

“On funding, the motion deliberately keeps it simple. No new money is sought tonight.

“We have seen in our bay record tidal levels, and if we experience them more frequently, having dune restoration and a stronger coastal infrastructure will ensure that we don’t actually get that erosion that other areas may get.”

He also said the project aligns with council’s adopted Werribee South Beach Master Plan, to which mayor Mia Shaw agreed and backed the motion.

“It is a very important part of the Werribee South Beach Master Plan and hopefully it gets support tonight, and I’m looking forward to seeing it come to fruition,” Cr Shaw said.

The motion was carried unanimously.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…