WYNDHAM
Home » News » Diabetic driver loses bid

Diabetic driver loses bid

A diabetic driver who ploughed through a beer garden, killing five people, will have to give evidence at an inquest despite his objections.

William Swale, 68, was initially charged with 14 offences, including five counts of culpable driving causing death, over the November 2023 crash in Daylesford in central Victoria.

But a magistrate struck out all of the charges in 2024 after finding his actions were involuntary.

A coroner will now investigate the deadly crash, with the Mount Macedon man among the dozens of witnesses called to give evidence.

He formally objected to that course in December, with his barrister Dermot Dann KC telling the court it would be prejudicial for his client.

However, coroner Dimitra Dubrow on Wednesday found it was in the interest of justice for Mr Swale to give evidence at the inquest.

Mr Swale, a type-1 diabetic, suffered a severe hypoglycaemic episode while behind the wheel and crashed into patrons seated outside the Royal Daylesford Hotel at 6.07pm on November 5.

Pratibha Sharma, 44, her daughter Anvi, 9, and partner Jatin Kumar, 30, from Point Cook, and their friend Vivek Bhatia, 38, and his son Vihaan, 11, from Tarneit, were all killed, while six others were injured.

Prosecutors alleged Mr Swale had ignored warning signs about his declining glucose levels and was negligent in driving from 5.36pm that evening.

Magistrate Guillaume Bailin dismissed the case, finding Mr Swale was already suffering a severe hypoglycaemic episode at that time so his actions were involuntary.

Victoria’s Director of Public Prosecutions chose not to directly indict Mr Swale because the expert evidence had deprived any reasonable prospects of a successful prosecution.

But Mr Dann argued Mr Swale’s evidence at the inquest could lead prosecutors to reformulate their case and file fresh charges.

Ms Dubrow accepted Mr Swale could face a direct indictment on a differently framed case but said the risk of that happening was “relatively low” .

The coroner said she would give Mr Swale a certificate, which would prevent prosecutors from using his evidence against him in any future criminal proceedings.

She also noted Mr Swale would be able to retain his right to silence if prosecutors decided to file a direct indictment.

Ultimately, Ms Dubrow found it was in the interest of justice for Mr Swale to give evidence at the inquest because his recollection was of “critical importance”.

The coroner said Mr Swale was yet to provide a fulsome account of what happened on November 5.

The evidence of his actions and diabetic management would inform the findings on the circumstances of the fatal crash and any prevention recommendations, Ms Dubrow said.

The inquest is due to be held in March.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…