WYNDHAM
Home » News » Dementia funding welcomed

Dementia funding welcomed

Dementia Australia have welcomed the $2.2 billion investment in aged care reforms and dementia specific initiatives announced in Tuesday night’s federal budget.

Dementia Australia executive director of services, advocacy and research Dr Kaele Stokes said the budget was an important step forward to improving the quality of care for people living with dementia, their families and carers.

“We welcome the continuing progress made by the Albanese Government in keeping dementia at the forefront by addressing key recommendations of the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety,” Dr Stokes said.

“We also acknowledge the Government’s recognition of the need for a health system that can accommodate developments in biomarkers and disease-modifying therapies for dementia.” Other dementia specific measures in the budget include:$56.8 million for the expansion of the Commonwealth’s Acute to Residential Care Transition Service dementia program; $30.4 million to states and territories to continue to deliver the Specialist Dementia Care Program and $1.7 million for the Australian Dementia Network (ADNeT) for system readiness.

“Given there are more than 421,000 people living with all forms of dementia in Australia we are committed to continuing to work with the Government to ensure the experiences of people impacted by dementia remain central to the design and roll out of these and future aged care reforms,” Dr Stokes said.

It’s estimated that more than 421,000 Australians are living with dementia and more than 1.6 million people are involved in caring for them

For support, contact the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500. An interpreter service is available. The National Dementia Helpline is funded by the Australian Government. People looking for information can also visit dementia.org.au

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…