WYNDHAM
Home » News » Delegation powers cause confusion

Delegation powers cause confusion

Wyndham council has settled on how it will delegate its powers to officers, but not before debate and confusion in the chamber.

At the Tuesday 28 October meeting, council had to vote on a report outlining what powers it handed over to its executive team, different departments and groups it is part of– a process mandated by the state government within a year of each election.

While officially speaking for the motion, Cr Robert Szatkowski said he felt councillors were not involved enough in writing the report and the briefing sessions were inadequate.

“The delegations have now arrived in the chamber in a format that reality doesn’t give us any time or opportunity to thoroughly investigate or look through these delegations in detail,” Cr Szatkowski said.

Cr Peter Maynard said he agreed with the majority of the delegations but had reservations about increasing the delegation to the chief executive for projects more than $5 million to $10 million.

Cr Josh Gilligan said he believed it was only supposed to be a delegation of $2.5 million and did not support a four-fold increase.

Governance confirmed the $10 million delegation power in question actually referred to the director of planning’s applications.

Cr Gilligan said he was concerned as to why the report had no rationale to justify the change.

‘It does not address the question– nor has it ever been answered– about why officers are seeking to give themselves the power back to deal with matters where they are generally [done] in accordance with a development plan,” Cr Gilligan said.

The debate was adjourned until the end of the meeting.

Cr Gilligan moved an amended version of the report to reduce the planning director’s delegation back to $5 million, which was backed by Cr Peter Maynard.

Cr Jennie Barrera defended the organisation by saying $10 million was already a compromise from the original $20 million figure and that councillors had been well informed of the proposed change.

The amended motion won, but not before Cr Maria King tried to foreshadow an alternative to change the amount to $7 million amid giggles from across the chamber.

Cr Mia Shaw had the last words: “7.7 is done.”

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…