WYNDHAM
Home » News » Coronavirus shuts down events

Coronavirus shuts down events

A slew of events planned to run across Wyndham during the next two months have been postponed and cancelled, as part of efforts to halt the spread of coronavirus.

The Wyndham Rotary Fun Run or Walk, which was to be held on Sunday (March 15) to raise funds for the Werribee Mercy Hospital, was postponed to an unknown later date.

The Wyndham Relay For Life – which raises funds for the Cancer Council Victoria – was also to be held at the weekend but was cancelled on Friday afternoon.

The Cancer Council Victoria’s community engagement manager Cara Davey said funds raised by relay participants would roll over to next year’s event, as would registration fees.

The Wyndham Community Activists Group posted on Facebook that it would postpone a rally planned for state Parliament on Thursday (March 19).

The rally, be held in partnership with residents from Bacchus Marsh, was to be in protest of toxic soil from the Westgate Tunnel project being dumped in the west.

“Due to the current situation with the coronavirus, the uncertainty of what the coming week will bring and now the government announcement, we decided to postpone any large planned action of that nature for the timebeing – until it will be most effective,” the post said.

Organisers of The Point Cook Pop Up Park, in Murnong Street, have also cancelled all planned activities due to the COVID-19 virus.

However, Werribee Open Range Zoo will be open as normal.

Zoos Victoria took to social media at the weekend, posting:

“As outdoor venues with lots of space, the risk of coronavirus remains low, and we know a lot of people are craving an escape with nature at the moment.

“However, if you have any flu-like symptoms, please put your health and that of the community first and rest up at home. Our zoos aren’t going anywhere so we’d love to see you when you’re feeling up to it.”

The zoo will post updates at: http://bit.ly/2xtKtCX.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…