Check your electric blankets before winter

(cottonbro via Pexels)

Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) and Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV) want you to check your electric blankets are in safe working order.

As we head into winter, ESV and FRV encourage Victorians, including those in Wyndham, to double check their blankets following a Mount Waverley fire on April 10, which resulted in an elderly woman taken to hospital suffering burns to her hands and feet.

A statement from ESV said the cause of the incident was believed to be due to a fault in the ageing electric blanket and its connections.

ESV commissioner and chairperson Marnie Williams said it was important electric blankets and attached controllers, cords or plugs are working well.

“Damaged electric blankets can result in fire, electric shock, electrocution, power disruptions and product failure,” Ms Williams said.

ESV asks Victorians to make sure there are no creases, kinks or broken heating wires in the blanket, too.

“If there is any damage to the electric blanket, ESV recommends that it is not turned on or used and that it is discarded. Operating damaged electric blankets can potentially result in fire, electric shock, electrocution or power disruptions,” ESV said.

“To further prevent damage, Victorians are urged to ensure their electric blankets are not stored underneath heavy objects or in places where their heating cables and wires can be kinked, bent or broken.”

FRV deputy commissioner Michelle Young said while the dangers of fire are real, there’s a lot people can do to protect themselves, their families and their homes.

“People should always ensure that they turn off electric blankets prior to getting into bed,” Ms Young said.

“Every household should consider their fire safety practices and work to reduce the potential risks around their home, particularly when winter hits.”

To check if a blanket has been recalled, go to the ACCC’s recalls website