WYNDHAM
Home » News » Australian disaster preparedness study

Australian disaster preparedness study

With high-risk months quickly approaching, almost a third of Australians confess they are not prepared at all for a potential disaster, according to a new study.

New independent research from Australia Post reveals that when disaster strikes, more than a quarter of Australians say they would turn to their mother first, closely followed by their father – and when it comes to nominating a ‘household hero’ to create the emergency plan, nearly three in ten households chose mum, while one in five nominate dad.

During EmergencyRedi week from September 15 to 21, Australia Post is delivering four million ‘prepare’ flyers to households in areas at high-risk of being impacted by disaster, aiming to raise awareness and drive action.

The flyer includes tips that are aimed at helping Australians become disaster-ready.

Australia Post general manager of community and stakeholder engagement Nicky Tracey said the organisation knows that planning ahead can reduce the impact of an emergency on families and communities, which is why we it is working closely with Australian Red Cross to urge people to take the necessary steps to prepare.

The research also highlights what Australians think the single most essential item is to pack in an emergency bag:

• Important documents such as passports and IDs came out on top, chosen by nearly one in three Australians.

• First aid kits and water followed closely, with medication also ranking highly.

• Technology like phone chargers was seen as more critical than food, emphasising the importance of staying connected in the immediate aftermath of a disaster.

• If forced to leave home in just five minutes, more than a third of Aussies said the first thing they would grab is their phone. Pets came a close second, with nearly three in ten saying they’d prioritise taking their furry friends, while one in five would reach for their wallet.

Aiming to support Australians impacted by disaster, Australia Post is accepting donations to Australian Red Cross at participating Post Offices or online at auspost.com.au/disaster.

Together with Australian Red Cross, Australia Post is encouraging Australians to:

• Complete the organisations’ co-developed ‘Disaster Quiz’

• Create a household emergency plan

• Pack a household emergency kit

• Start conversations with family members about the importance of being prepared

Further details on disaster preparation are available on the Australian Red Cross website.

Details: redcross.org.au/prepare.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…