WYNDHAM
Home » News » Wyndham’s Digger stories preserved with grants

Wyndham’s Digger stories preserved with grants

A project to document the lives of Wyndham’s fallen World War I soldiers, a reflective garden dedicated to Australia’s Diggers and the restoration of military equipment from the 1800s are among the latest Wyndham recipients of funding through the federal government’s ANZAC Centenary Local Grants program.

As reported by Star Weekly last month, the Wyndham Anzac commemorative committee, with support from Wyndham council and Werribee RSL, is compiling digital travelling storyboards on each of the 60 World War I diggers.

The project will develop storyboards detailing the life of each soldier. It will also develop a WWI mural at Werribee RSL and an interactive and educational war commemoration for school students, featuring displays, tours and re-creations of life in the trenches.

Along with moving around schools and the community, the storyboards will stand beside crowds at the Werribee march on April 19 and the dawn service at the cenotaph on Anzac Day.

Werribee Secondary College received $5592 to restore historic military equipment and uniforms donated to the school in 2011.

The uniforms, the same as those worn by Werribee’s half-battery of horse artillery in the late 1800s, will be used by students in commemorative services.

Werribee Men’s Shed was awarded $10,410 to create a reflective garden at the Wyndham Park Community Centre dedicated to Australia’s World War I soldiers.

Commemorative committee member Margaret Markovic said it was important to create more awareness of what soldiers went through. “This grant will allow us to record Wyndham’s dawn service and our march and record our presentations to schools so we have an oral history for future generations,” she said.

“To have 60 fallen soldiers standing next to the crowd at the march and the dawn service will make a real impact and show that these men are more than just names on a wall.

“We want people to relate to them and personalise their stories by showing their ages and that they were a butcher or a farmer or married with children, where they fought and where they were killed. It’s tragic that some of our soldiers who lost their lives in the war have yet to be identified.

“But for those we do know about, it’s all the more reason for us to learn about them as people.”

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…