WYNDHAM
Home » News » ‘Chaos’ fears drive Regional Rail Link delay

‘Chaos’ fears drive Regional Rail Link delay

Victoria’s largest public transport project since the City Loop, the Regional Rail Link, has been hit by a two-month delay and will not open until late June.

Trains were scheduled to begin operating along the 45-kilometre link between Southern Cross Station and West Werribee in April but will not do so until June 21 after the government made a surprise decision last week to delay the link’s opening.

According to the state government, a shortage of available V/Line trains forced it to defer the opening of the $4.3 billion project, the first major expansion of the state’s rail network in more than 30 years. It will include new stations at Tarneit and Wyndham Vale.

The eight-week delay will hold back until June wholesale changes planned to Melbourne’s train, tram and bus timetables.

Labor has blamed the delay on the former Napthine government, accusing it of planning to open the link without enough trains to run a full timetable.

Public Transport Minister Jacinta Allan said in a statement that: “If RRL was introduced in April, as the former Coalition government had planned, any delay in rolling stock delivery or train faults would mean service cancellations and chaos for commuters.

“The bungled order for rolling stock shows that the Liberals and Nationals don’t have a head for public transport or a heart for regional services.”

But Opposition public transport spokesman David Hodgett said the government should stop “making excuses” for its problems.

“All we hear from Daniel Andrews is either excuses like Regional Rail Link or lies like over the East West Link compensation,” he said.

“So my advice to Daniel Andrews is to stop making excuses, start being honest and get to work for Victorians.”

The Regional Rail Link will help relieve rail congestion in the west by giving V/Line trains from Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo dedicated paths in and out of the city. The separation of Metro and V/Line trains will create capacity for extra metropolitan services, particularly along the chronically overcrowded Werribee line.

A fleet of 43 new VLocity train carriages, ordered by the Napthine government, is being manufactured by Bombardier in Dandenong. The first of the three-car trains entered service in October.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…