WYNDHAM
Home » Classifieds » From the Archives: March 19-29

From the Archives: March 19-29

40 years ago

March 19, 1975

A new group has been formed aimed at ensuring community resources are efficiently used to benefit all Werribee residents. A meeting of the Community Resources Group was convened by Werribee Primary School principal Matt Myers last week following concerns Werribee Shire was one of the last councils in the state to appoint a community development officer. Mr Myers said the group would evaluate whether facilities, such as school buildings, could be more widely used by the community.

30 years ago

March 20, 1985

More than 100 years after Ned Kelly was hanged, a case involving his family has come before court. The case related to police statements and depositions from 1874 to 1904 – allegations of horse-stealing by Kelly’s younger brother, James, and friend Isiaih Wright – which were stolen from the Public Records repository in Laverton last year. Werribee Magistrates Court was told the woman accused of the theft was found in possession of the documents during a routine police traffic check on the Princes Highway. The woman pleaded guilty to the theft and was fined $500.

20 years ago

March 29, 1995

Work is under way on Werribee Plaza’s long-awaited $9.5 million cinema complex. The development will include 10 theatres, with seating for up to 2000 people, along with a World 4 Kids store and a 500 square metre family restaurant on the site of the former Billy Guyatts store. The plaza’s marketing manager said the complex, due to open in November, would provide hundreds of new jobs for local residents. The cinemas will be the first stage in a series of developments at the plaza over the next decade, with the centre to double in size.

10 years ago

March 23, 2005

Eight kindergartens are among 20 Wyndham Council buildings earmarked for asbestos removal. A report stated that the council had worked on removing the most dangerous asbestos from its buildings, but warned it was still present in walls, floor tiles and cement flues in some facilities which may need repair or renovation. Councillors voted to spend $263,000 on asbestos removal in 2005-06 in buildings classified as high risk by an audit and a further $336,600 in 2006-07.

From The Archives

Take a look at previous From The Archives columns

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…