WYNDHAM
Home » Uncategorized » Man gets ‘modest’ sentence over Tarneit home invasion bashing

Man gets ‘modest’ sentence over Tarneit home invasion bashing

A County Court judge has acknowledged the jail term given to a man involved in a home invasion bashing was “modest”, saying he was constricted by the fact he had already imposed lenient jail terms on the man’s three co-offenders.

Judge Roy Punshon said on Thursday it was unfortunate he had not been able to sentence together the four men involved in the bashing and kidnapping of a man from a Tarneit house in February last year.

But he had already jailed the instigator of the crime, Steven Wallis, 30, for three years and three months and was bound to ensure he imposed sentences of parity on the other men.

Judge Punshon told Michael Paul Licciardo, 30, he would be jailed for two years and six months, with a non-parole period of 15 months, a punishment the judge said was a “modest sentence”.

“I have constrained the sentence on you because your co-offenders were treated particularly leniently,” he said.

On February 5 last year Licciardo, Wallis and Troy Alderson repeatedly punched and kicked a man after kicking in the door of the man’s home. The trio were looking for a friend of the victim, who had had an argument with Wallis the previous week.

The victim, who was 21 at the time, curled into the foetal position as he was being assaulted and suffered significant bruising to his head, a cut behind an ear and scratches on his chest and back.

He was then led at knifepoint to a waiting car, shoved in the boot and driven to Truganina, where he was threatened with a knife and told he would have an eye cut out unless he told the men where his friend was. When he said he did not know he was told to run away.

Licciardo pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary and intentionally causing injury, but was not charged with kidnapping offences.

The court heard he had had a disadvantaged upbringing, had struggled with alcohol, drug and mental-health problems and had told a doctor he was “profoundly ashamed” of his offending.

Judge Punshon said the father of two had to address his alcohol consumption if he was to rehabilitate himself.

Alderson, 36, was jailed for two years and six months and was sentenced with Wallis in April.

Michael Megne, 32, who drove the car on the day and stayed outside the house as the lookout for his three co-offenders, was sentenced last year to two years and nine months in jail.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…