WYNDHAM
Home » News » Local venues shun pokies pre-commitment trial

Local venues shun pokies pre-commitment trial

None of Wyndham’s 13 gaming venues will take part in a trial pre-commitment scheme for problem gamblers despite punters losing more than $93 million on the municipality’s poker machines in the past financial year.

The state government’s YourPlay initiative will run at 14 venues across the state for three months, with gamblers signing up for a swipe card that allows them to set gambling limits. The program issues reminders and tracks how much time and money is being spent on the machines.

The government asked gaming venues to nominate to be part of the trial, while gamblers will also take part on a volunteer basis.

The scheme will be rolled out across the state in December.

The government did not answer questions from

Star Weekly about why the trial was being conducted in venues that volunteered to take part rather than in areas with high pokies losses.

But Gaming Minister Jane Garrett said YourPlay was just one of the tools people could use to help them stay in control of their gambling.

“The government shares the community’s concerns around the impact of gambling,” she said. “We’re committed to reducing gaming- related harm.”

Wyndham recorded the eighth-highest gambling loss among Victorian municipalities between July, 2014, and June this year. Brimbank punters lost the most ($141 million).

The highest Wyndham losses were recorded at the Werribee Plaza Tavern, where gamblers parted with more than $14 million, followed by Werribee’s Commercial Tavern, which recorded almost $13 million in losses.

Western Metropolitan Greens MP Colleen Hartland labelled voluntary pre-commitment a “sham”, adding that the government knew it would make no difference to gambling habits.

“Research has already shown it will do nothing to reduce problem gambling,” she said,

Ms Hartland said the worsening pokies losses in Wyndham showed a need for $1 bet limits and a mandatory pre-commitment scheme.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…