WYNDHAM
Home » News » Draft rates cap report lacks support

Draft rates cap report lacks support

Councils would be required to limit rate increases to 3.05 per cent next financial year under a draft proposal to the state government.

The Essential Services Commission (ESC) has released its draft recommendations on the government plan to cap council rates from next year, suggesting rate rises be linked to the consumer price index (CPI) and to wages.

The cap, an election promise by Labor, has failed to gain the support of Wyndham council amid concerns it would struggle to provide the services and infrastructure the community needs if it’s unable to decide its own rates increase each year.

Wyndham rates rose by 5.5 per cent in the current financial year. But under the ESC’s proposal, the rise cap will be set at 3.05 per cent in 2016-17, dropping to 2.85 per cent in 2017-18 and 2.8 per cent in 2018-19.

The cap will apply to the year-to-year increases in rates paid by the average ratepayer and will relate only to general rates and municipal charges levied by councils. It will not apply to garbage rates and charges.

“We recognise there will be some, or many, ratepayers who experience higher or lower rates changes than this notional ratepayer,” the draft report s.

In addition to the cap, the review calls for a new “efficiency” deduction to be introduced from 2017-18, when councils would need to reduce their rates bill by 0.05 per cent because of efficiencies (increasing by 0.05 percentage points a year thereafter).

The commission has also recommended that councils be able to apply for a variation to the cap.

But it said it was unlikely to look favourably on applications for higher rates due to unbudgeted increases in controllable costs.

The commission said a council seeking a variation should need to explain the reason for the increase and show it had considered the views of ratepayers.

It also wants councils seeking to raise rates above the cap to demonstrate that doing so would be good value for money and that other funding options had been considered.

Wyndham council has lodged submissions against the proposed cap, claiming it would lose more than $1.3 million from its budget for every one per cent it is unable to lift its rates beyond CPI.

It predicts that within four years it will have lost $57 million.

Cr Gautam Gupta, who spoke on the issue at council’s July 27 meeting on behalf of the absent Cr Adele Hegedich, said the council would find it difficult to balance increasing demand for services and decreasing financial support.

Ratepayers can have their say on the ESC’s report until August 28.

Details: www.esc.vic.gov.au

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…