WYNDHAM
Home » News » New COVID testing site in Truganina

New COVID testing site in Truganina

A new COVID-19 testing site is being set up at Al-Taqwa College in Truganina, after a teacher from the school tested positive to the virus.

The Department of Health announced yesterday that the school would close, with all students and staff instructed to get tested and isolate until further notice.

The teacher, a woman aged in her twenties who lives in Hobsons Bay , is believed to have potentially been infectious in the community for three days last week.

This morning, construction crews were on-site at the Truganina school, putting up tents for the new COVID-19 testing site.

Yesterday Al-Taqwa College released a statement saying it was advised of the teacher’s coronavirus diagnosis at 2.30pm.

The statement said that upon the direction of the Western Public Health Unit and the Department of Health, the college immediately advised staff, students and families that they must be COVID-tested immediately.

All staff and students were also told they must immediately self-quarantine until further notice, and continue getting tested even if they test negative.

Today is a student-free day to enable staff to be tested. Online classes will resume on Friday, until further notice, the school said.

“For the time being, the college campus will be completely shut down with no staff members or students permitted to attend the college premises,” the statement said.

“Deep cleaning is being arranged.

“Unless and until the department advises us otherwise, we are locking down the college campus for the full 14 day precautionary period, therefore online classes will continue until Wednesday, August 18. Classes will resume face-to-face on Thursday, August 19.

“The college assures our families, staff and the Victorian community that we have done everything required by the Victorian government to implement COVID-19 protocols and precautions, as we have throughout this pandemic.”

The Western Region Football League has also released a statement, stating that a player from the Newport Football Club seniors reportedly tested positive to COVID-19 yesterday.

The player participated in a match against West Footscray at Shorten Reserve in West Footscray on Saturday afternoon.

“The player began to feel unwell this week and did not attend club training on Tuesday, and was confirmed as having COVID-19 on Wednesday,” the statement said.

“On learning of the positive case, Newport Football Club immediately advised all players & officials to get tested and isolate until further notice.

“The matter is in the hands of the DHHS, and the WRFL in conjunction with AFL Victoria will continue to monitor the situation closely.”

A number of new COVID exposure sites in Newport, Altona North and Caroline Springs have also been listed at https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/exposure-sites

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…