WYNDHAM
Home » News » Gastro warning

Gastro warning

Parents and carers are being urged to keep young children at home if they are sick amid a rise in outbreaks of viral gastroenteritis in Victorian childcare centres.

There has been six gastro outbreaks at Wyndham childcare centres over the past two weeks and nine in the last month.

(In comparison, Wyndham experienced only four outbreaks in childcare centres in 2020).

Wyndham’s healthy city portfolio holder, Cr Adele Hegedich, said gastroenteritis was highly infectious and urged people to stay home if they had symptoms.

“Whilst viral gastroenteritis can cause symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, fevers, muscle aches and headaches, it is also highly infectious, with the very young and elderly at most risk of complications,” Cr Hegedich said.

“We urge infants or children in childcare or school, as well as staff, who develop vomiting or diarrhoea to stay at home until at least 48 hours after their symptoms have stopped, since they will still be infectious.

“Symptoms can take up to three days to develop and usually last between one or two days, sometimes longer.”

Cr Hegedich said that once notified of an outbreak at a childcare facility, council’s Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) were required to conduct contact and history tracing of cases; attend the childcare to implement outbreak control measures; and supervise environmental cleaning and disinfection of all equipment, utensils and facilities.”

“EHOs provide continual support and monitoring which is integral to ensuring that outbreaks are quickly contained and manage,” Cr Hegedich said.

“As we move toward the end of the pandemic, this is a timely reminder that basic health and hygiene practice education and messaging remains important for a range of public health scenarios.

“Washing hands with soap and water is one of the most effective ways of preventing the spread of infection.

“If symptoms are severe or they persist, or you are concerned, see a GP for advice and possible testing.”

Anyone recovering from gastroenteritis should avoid visiting hospitals, childcare centres and aged care facilities to avoid spreading the infection to those most vulnerable. Any person living in a household with someone who has gastroenteritis should refrain from visiting these high-risk facilities until at least 48 hours after the last person in the household has recovered.

For more information, go to: https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/about/news-and-events/healthalerts/gastro-outbreaks-childcare

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…