WYNDHAM
Home » Sport » Rhodes leads the way for Hoppers Crossing

Rhodes leads the way for Hoppers Crossing

Hoppers Crossing had to grind it out in the opening round of the sub-district cricket season, with their match against Melton delicately poised at stumps.

With a delayed start due to weather and pitch conditions, Hoppers Crossing was sent in by Melton at Hogans Road Reserve, and despite wickets falling steadily they got through to 7-177.

The Cats had Jack Rhodes to thank for their score, with the opener batting for four hours to post 93, the only batsman to score more than 20.

Hoppers Crossing captain Justin Goegan said Rhodes showed what was possible with a bit of determination, and said his side was happy with where they sat in the game so far.

“We spoke before the day about being around 180 to 200, and we’re pretty close to that so that’s a good day really,” Goegan said.

“We probably would have liked a couple more wickets in hand, but we’ll have 13 overs next week to get as many as we can and I think we can defend that.

“We had three partnerships of over 40, and Jack was the mainstay of those. It would have been nice to see him get his hundred, but he toughed it out, got hit on the body and helmet a few times, but he was clearly the pick of the batsmen on the day.”

Rhodes and Cameron Nicol (14) kicked off the innings with a 47-run opening stand, and when Nicol fell there was another good partnership between Rhodes and Adrian Myers.

 

Hoppers Crossing
Cameron Nicol. Photo by Damjan Janevski.

Several Cats batsmen made starts but could not go on with it, including Myers (12), Sanka Abeyruwan (19) and Brett Smith (15).

With just 67 overs bowled on the day, play will start early this Saturday so Hoppers Crossing can play out the last 13 overs of its innings before Melton begins the chase.

Goegan said he was confident his side could once again push for finals, having narrowly missed out last summer.

“We haven’t really changed our squad too much from last year, so we’re pretty much all home-grown players looking to go round again,” he said.

“We don’t have the superstars or the big paid players, but we all think that we can get the job done.

“We’ve had a good pre-season, everyone enjoyed it and is on board with the direction the club is heading from the top down.

“We believe internally that we’re good enough to play finals, and then once we’re there anything can happen, so we’re here to match it with the top teams.”

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…