WYNDHAM
Home » News » Coroner rules on crash that killed four Wyndham friends

Coroner rules on crash that killed four Wyndham friends

A head-on smash on the Princes Freeway near Lara that killed four friends from Wyndham was caused by a drunk driver, a coroner has ruled.

Coroner Ann McGarvie said last week the incident was not preventable and was not the result of poor road design or a delayed response from emergency services.

The coroner was releasing her findings into the December 2012 crash, in which Nathan Kerr, Casey Valetic, Melissa Parry and Brad Dickson, all in their 20s, were killed. Their friends, Scott Early and Nick Arbuthnot, survived the crash.

The group of friends were returning from a night out in Geelong on December 8 when a speeding BMW, which was being driven on the wrong side of the divided road, ploughed into their car.

The driver of the BMW, mother-of-two Sarah Dale, also died in the accident.

It was found that Ms Dale was driving at 160km/h and had been drinking at her boyfriend’s house the night before.

She was driving to a friend’s house in Queenscliff when the accident happened.

Passing motorists made calls to triple-0 in a bid to alert police to Ms Dale’s driving before the accident. Some of the callers criticised police for taking too long to respond.

Families of those killed in the crash also expressed concerns about the design of the Princes freeway.

However, the coroner found that there were not any issues regarding road signage, road design, emergency services or the police operation response that could be addressed to prevent an accident like this recurring.

The coroner found that the accident was an “isolated incident”.

Nathan’s mother, Amanda Wilson, said the past two years since the accident had been “overwhelming” and “distressing”.

“I can’t move on because, every day, Nathan doesn’t come home,” she said.

“He was so full of life and his presence is missed.”

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…