WYNDHAM
Home » Sport » Craigieburn City is counting on continuing to build

Craigieburn City is counting on continuing to build

Craigieburn City isn’t about merely making up the numbers in FFV state league 3 north-west soccer in the coming season.

Having earned two straight promotions to rise from state league 5 to state league 3, Craigieburn could quite easily focus on cementing its spot.

But coach Michael Loche and his players have other ideas.

“Looking at just cementing our spot isn’t an option for us,” he said.

“We can’t keep standing still.

“We want to be in the top half of the league and anything can happen from there.”

Loche said the club had worked on strengthening the side in the off-season, keeping in mind the demands of playing at a higher level.

He said depth was an area that had been looked at, with the core group of players returning.

Defensive midfielder Leon Stergkou, Danny Federico, former player Ubeyde Cicek, Aykut Kucuktepe, Muhammed Temel and Faith Turer have all joined the club.

Loche said their biggest new signing was still be unveiled.

In another big plus for the side, new skipper Jordan Connerton is fully fit for the first time in two years – a bad sign for opposition sides.

In just eight games last season, Connerton scored 25 goals.  In his first season with the club, he scored 55 goals.

“When he is fully fit, he’s in the mix as the best player in state league, especially the best striker,” Loche said.

On Sunday, Craigieburn played its second match of the FFA Cup.

After a 5-4 win in extra time in round one, Craigieburn’s run ended against Ashburton United.

The game was called off in the 70th minute with Craigieburn player Hish Nehfaoui taken from the ground in an ambulance due to a bad injury.

Ashburton United was in front 1-0 at the time and progressed through to the next round.

Loche said the FFA Cup wasn’t the main focus.

“It’s more about getting the kilometres into the legs,” he said.

“It’s about understanding the strengths and weakness of the players and gearing up for round one.”

MORE FFV NEWS

http://www.starweekly.com.au/sports/ambitious-spring-hills-looking-to-take-the-next-step/

 

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…