WYNDHAM
Home » News » Tarneit units knocked back

Tarneit units knocked back

Wyndham council has knocked back a planning permit application to build 26 double-storey units in a Tarneit street, after receiving 67 objections to the proposal.

The council made the decision last week, despite a report from council officers recommending the plan be approved.

Cr Josh Gilligan said the proposal for 3 Onyx Way would “have a detrimental impact on the amenity of surrounding properties”.

He said if the proposal went ahead, it would result in about 156 additional vehicle movements per day in the area.

Cr Gilligan also said that putting 26 units on the block, which is about 4210 square metres, would be “an overdevelopment of the site”.

Several residents of Onyx Way – including Melanie, Kevin, Igor, Kylie, Steve and Leanne who worked together to present an objection to the proposal at a council meeting held last month – described the decision to reject the plans as “wonderful news”.

“We applaud the council for listening to our concerns, asking questions and making the right decision,” Melanie said.

“The proposed 26 units in a small space didn’t fit with our community and the surrounding roads and infrastructure didn’t support such condensed housing in the middle of an estate not close to public transport.”

Cr Henry Barlow and Cr Peter Maynard were the only councillors who voted in favour of the planning permit application.

Cr Barlow said Wyndham needed housing diversity and 3 Onyx Way was near open space and future shops.

He said the proposal also met all the local planning requirements.

“If this gets defeated tonight, the developer will take us to VCAT and we’ll have to spend several thousands dollars defending something that is probably indefensible,” he said.

Earlier this year, the council approved a separate plan to build 13 double-storey units at 1 Onyx Way, despite receiving 113 objections to the application.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police appeal for information on the disappearance of Brendan Breen

    Police are calling for information as part of their investigation into the suspicious disappearance of Brendan Breen 14 years ago. The then 55-year-old was last seen in Melbourne on 12…

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…