WYNDHAM
Home » Sport » Cricket » Epping braces for winning bowling effort

Epping braces for winning bowling effort

Epping has work to do if it’s to knock off reigning premier Macleod in the Diamond Valley Cricket Association’s Barclay Shield.

After starting the season with two wins, Epping is using the game against Macleod as a chance to see where it is at against the top sides.

Epping captain-coach Andrew Bennett said it was a new challenge for them.

“There have been quite a few challenges and we have quite a few players unavailable,” he said.

“Anthony Licovski and Billy McKeown, who have been our best bat and bowler so far this season, are unavailable.

“John Kulikowski has come back for his first game, so that evens it out a bit. We thought if we could get a couple of wins early on it would set us up for this week.”

Day one was a mixed bag for Epping, with periods of good cricket and other periods that left it behind the eight ball.

Epping made 187, which was a lot better than looked likely earlier on.

Bennett top scored with 81, while Aaron Amos was good support in making 71.

“There was three sessions in one day,” Bennett said. “We were 4-18 and then 6-50, but managed to get to 187. We believe that would make it a competitive game.

“Macleod likes to run through teams when they are on the back foot and it was pleasing to work our way out of it.”

After working back into the game, Epping let Macleod off the hook, so Macleod will resume at 1-84.

Bennett said if his side could get early wickets on day two, it would be in with a chance to get the win.

“They’ve got four batsmen missing from last season’s premiership side,” he said.

“If we can get a couple of wickets early, we’ll have an opportunity to have a shot of the less experienced guys. With our bowling attack, I think we can do it.”

Bennett said that overall the start to the season had been pleasing, despite several players across the top two sides missing matches.

He said the club had more depth this season, with players from the premiership winning second XI side pushing for spots.

“Players are getting selected on strong performances,” he said.

“Sitting middle of the table, we knew we needed to add to our depth.  We brought in Marc La Brooy and Aaron Amos.

“The average age of our second XI is 21 or 22. We’ve got the talent coming through the grades and pushing for spots.”

Bennett, who is in his first season as captain-coach, said finals were clearly the aim this season.

“We have to take the next step – we don’t want to be a middle of the table team,” he said.

“We’ve got two players in their 30s and the rest in their 20s and we are building a squad with Barclay experience.”

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…