WYNDHAM
Home » News » Mercy moves to cut violence

Mercy moves to cut violence

 

Werribee Mercy Hospital will upgrade its emergency department in a bid to prevent violence against staff and patients.

The hospital has received $212,000 from the state government’s health service violence prevention fund.

The money will be used to re-configure the department’s triage area and security office to improve staff views into waiting areas and reduce risks to staff and patients. Work is expected to start in coming months.

The funding comes in response to a 2015 Victorian Auditor-General’s report that found that nurses, doctors, paramedics and other healthcare workers across the state faced particular risks because “they are at the frontline when it comes to dealing with people in stressful, unpredictable and potentially volatile situations”.

Mercy Health health services chief executive Linda Mellors said the hospital was thrilled to receive the funding. Adjunct Professor Mellors said the hospital recorded 117 incidents of violence and aggression towards staff in 2016.

“Patient and staff safety is our highest priority,” she said.

“We are constantly looking at what preventative measures we can implement to make our emergency department at Werribee Mercy Hospital a safer space.”

State Health Minister Jill Hennessy said the funding would make a big difference to the hospital staff’s work conditions.

“Our dedicated healthcare workers put themselves in incredibly vulnerable positions on our frontline,” she said.

“They deserve to feel as safe and secure as possible in the important work they do.”

Werribee MP Tim Pallas also lauded the move.

“Wyndham’s health workers and their patients will now be safer and more secure thanks to this funding boost to deliver the added protection they deserve,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…