WYNDHAM
Home » Sport » Cricket » Werribee makes its long awaited return to Chirnside Park

Werribee makes its long awaited return to Chirnside Park

After half a season spent on the road due to its Chirnside Park redevelopment, the Tigers finally get a homecoming this weekend hosting Balwyn in a two-day blockbuster.

“We’re back…” Werribee captain Tim O’Brien said gleefully. “They’ve re-done the square and the ground is up and running, but we’ll be out of portables for clubrooms.

“We’re going to get a good facility at the end … we’re looking forward to getting back on our home deck and, hopefully, having a home ground advantage.”

Werribee’s players stayed positive as they travelled to faraway places, such as Endeavour Hills, Mount Waverley and Croydon. They understood short-term pain was necessary for the long-term gain of the club when the swanky new facilities are complete in January next year, but the travel has taken its toll.

“It’s been pretty tough yards travelling away every game,” O’Brien said.

Werribee did well to win its first three games on the road, but there has been a lack of pomp in their play in recent times – the Tigers lost four of the past five games, hitting their lowest point on Saturday, all out for 77 in pursuit of Williamstown’s modest total of 8-172 at Williamstown Cricket Ground.

The return to Chirnside Park could not have come at a better time as the Tigers slide to eighth on the ladder. O’Brien is hoping for a lift in the batting department.

“Our batting hasn’t been great since the Noble Park game, so we’ve got a lot of work to do on our batting going forward,” he said.

Losing two wickets in Saturday’s first over was always going to be poison for the Werribee run chase. Shaun Dean (19 not out) and Chris Hennessey (17) tried a fightback, but to no avail.

When Hennessey was dismissed, it sparked a batting collapse, and Werribee lost 8-50.

“Losing two wickets in the first over wasn’t the ideal start,” O’Brien said. “We just couldn’t put any partnerships together.”

It’s a pity Werribee batsmen did not take care of business because the bowling unit was up and about earlier in the day.

Aside from a Craig Sheedy blitzkrieg (56), including two fours and three sixes, and some handy runs from Matthew Dervan (30 not out), Mitchell Streiff (27) and Daniel Popa (22 not out), Werribee probably took the honours in the first half of the game.

“I couldn’t fault our bowling effort,” O’Brien said. “From the Melton game, we’ve really improved in the field and with the bowling.

“They’ve got a strong batting side and were going pretty hard at one stage when Streiff and Sheedy got going, so to restrict them to 172, I was pretty happy with that.”

It’s not time for Werribee to hit the panic button just yet … but it’s getting close to it. A victory over high-flying Balwyn could be just the tonic to get the Tigers back on track.

Meanwhile, Hoppers Crossing was ripped apart by Box Hill in the first game of the year, out for 138 chasing Box Hill’s 8-212.

Digital Editions


  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to aid students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms will be introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    Bryant takes charge of Marvels

    New Victoria Marvels coach Jason Bryant is hoping to create something to bring more opportunities and a bigger focus to wheelchair basketball. After having a women’s side last year, Basketball…

  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse the frequency of targeted attacks,…

  • Festival for all abilities

    Festival for all abilities

    Ability Fest is returning to Melbourne on April 11, 2026, with a new focus on industrial venue accessibility at The Timber Yard in Port Melbourne. The event marks a shift…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Education centre supported

    Education centre supported

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Wyndham council has approved plans to develop land in Hoppers Crossing into an education centre. At the 10 February planning meeting, councillors unanimously…

  • Sparked up for servo

    Sparked up for servo

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 255196 Plans to develop a service station with an electric charging port for trucks in Laverton North has been given the green light by…

  • Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Man arrested after stolen car stalls

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A man has been arrested following a short foot pursuit in Werribee the morning of Friday 20 February after a stolen car stalled.…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Titans’ big pre-season

    Titans’ big pre-season

    Things are on the up for Tarneit in the Western Football League division 2 competition. After failing to win a game last season, the Titans under new coach James Foord…