Werribee stuns Kew

Werribee premiership team. Picture supplied.

Tara Murray

Werribee stunned Kew in a massive upset to claim the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association north-west premiership.

Kew entered the grand final having gone through the season undefeated, while the Tigers had finished the regular season in fifth.

It mattered little come the grand final, with the Tigers pulling off the stunning win.

Tigers captain-coach Tim O’Brien said it was an incredible performance and feeling.

“We’ve been celebrating really hard,” he said.

“It’s amazing. A lot of hard work went into the last few years.

“Not playing last year after making the grand final due to COVID was hard. Whatever happens, we said if we get the opportunity to be there again it would be amazing.

“To get back there this year, I couldn’t be prouder.”

Werribee won the toss and elected to bat and got off to a strong start through the Dean brothers, Matt and Shaun.

They would set the platform for the innings, with the Tigers finishing 8-174 from their 40 overs.

Matt Dean top scored with 50, while Shaun Dean made 46.

O’Brien said they were happy with the total in the sheds during the innings break.

“Everyone was expecting Kew to win,” he said. “We had nothing to lose.

“Batting first was good to put on some scoreboard pressure. Pressure is a funny thing and anything can happen.

“We were looking at 180 to 200 and to get close to 180 was good.”

The Tigers opening bowlers then put the pressure on making hard work for Kew. Will Sheridan one of the most destructive batters in the competition, went at less than a run a ball due to the tight bowling.

Michael Kelly turned the game in the Tigers favour with three wickets including that of Sheridan.

There was still one more twist in the tail, with former Australian player John Hastings belting 47 off 27 balls.

“He nearly took it away from us,” O’Brien said. “He’s a class player and if John Hastings beats us then they are too good.”

The Tigers bowlers held their nerves late in the innings, restricting Kew to 9-170, giving the Tigers a win by four runs.

Kelly was named man of the match for his three key wickets. O’Brien said for much of the second half of the season he had bowled without much luck, so it was nice to see him pick up some wickets.

He also praised Jonathon Burton who took 1-11 from his eight overs which included four maidens.

It had been 25 years since the Tigers last won a first XI premiership. O’Brien said the playing group had worked hard together.

“We played in a grand final nine years ago and five of us are still playing,” he said.

“The core group has always been there and this is much deserved for the hard work put in to get it.”

It was a big weekend for the Tigers, with their third XI also winning a premiership at Kew. They played at the same location as the first XI, making for a few celebrations on the way home.

The fourth XI fell short against Brunswick in their grand final.